10 Day's Worth of Mood-Boosting, Waist-Shrinking Lunch Ideas
by Elizabeth Somer, M.A., R.D.
Author of Eat Your Way to Happiness
1. Wrap It: Fill a Mission Life Balance flour tortilla with 2 ounces of turkey breast meat, 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce, 2 tablespoons grated carrot and 1 tablespoon low-fat Caesar salad dressing. Serve with a glass of 1% milk and a piece of fruit.
2. Salad Fixings: Top 3 cups of baby spinach and/or romaine lettuce with 1/2 cup berries, 1 tablespoon pecans, 1/2 cup broccoli florets, 1/3 cup kidney or black beans and 2 tablespoons low-fat dressing. Serve with 100% whole-grain bread and a slice of low-fat cheese.
3. Pocket It: Fill a 100% whole-wheat pita with 1/2 cup black beans, 1/4 cup grated carrot, 1/4 cup chopped cucumber, 1/4 cup diced red peppers and 2 tablespoons light Italian salad dressing. Serve with Rachel’s yogurt and a glass of 100% juice.
4. Burgerville: Top a 100% whole-wheat burger bun with a vegetarian burger, 2 tablespoons low-fat crumbled feta cheese, 1/3 cup baby spinach leaves, and 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard. Serve with a piece of fruit and a glass of 1% milk.
5. Chicken of the Sea Sandwich: Top 2 slices of 100% whole-grain bread with 2 large romaine lettuce leaves and a mixture of 2 ounces drained, water-packed tuna, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon fat-free mayo and 1/4 cup diced celery. Serve with a side salad or piece of fruit and a glass of soy milk.
6. Take-out Desperado: If you must go, then order a kid’s cheeseburger, a side salad with fat-free dressing and apple dippers, or Wendy’s Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich (hold the mayo), a carton of low-fat milk and a Mandarin Orange cup.
7. Soup ’n’ Sandwich: Have a bowl of Campbell’s Healthy Request Savory Chicken and Long Grain Rice soup and add extra frozen vegetables. Serve with fresh fruit and a grilled cheese sandwich made with 2 slices of 100% whole-grain bread, low-fat cheese and cooking spray instead of butter or oil.
8. Veggie Broil: Cut in half and toast a 100% whole-grain English muffin. On one side, put 2 tablespoons mashed avocado, 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts, 1 thin slice red onion, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and 2 teaspoons low-fat ranch dressing, and top with 1 ounce grated, low-fat cheddar cheese. Place under broiler and heat until cheese bubbles. Remove and add other side of muffin to form a sandwich. Serve with tomato juice and a side salad or fruit.
9. Campfire Crunch Sandwich: Mix 2 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese with a dash of lemon juice, lemon peel, 2 tablespoons dried tart cherries, 1/4 cup grated carrot and 3 tablespoons trail mix. Pile onto a slice of 100% whole-grain bread, spread evenly and top with second piece of bread to form a sandwich. Serve with 1% milk and a piece of fruit or a salad.
10. Bagel Sandwich and Slaw: Spread 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard on half a 100% whole-wheat bagel; layer red onion, cucumber, red pepper slices, spinach leaves and low-fat cheese; and top with the other half of the bagel. Serve with broccoli slaw made with broccoli-coleslaw mix, low-fat coleslaw dressing and dried cranberries.
The above is an excerpt from the book Eat Your Way to Happiness by Elizabeth Somer, M.A., R.D.. The above excerpt is a digitally scanned reproduction of text from print. Although this excerpt has been proofread, occasional errors may appear due to the scanning process. Please refer to the finished book for accuracy.
Copyright © 2009 Elizabeth Somer, M.A., R.D., author of Eat Your Way to Happiness
Elizabeth Somer, M.A., R.D., author of Eat Your Way to Happiness, is a registered dietitian and author of several books, including 10 Habits That Mess Up a Woman's Diet, Food & Mood and Age-Proof Your Body. She is a member of the editorial advisory board of Shape magazine and editor in chief of Nutrition Alert, a newsletter that summarizes the current research from more than 6,000 journals. She appears frequently on NBC's Today and other national television shows.
For more information please visit www.EatYourWayToHappiness.com.